Skip to main content

Introvertly Extrovert

If I had to liken my personality to an animal I think I would be a chameleon. (speaking of which, who decided to spell that?)

I find myself becoming like those I am around. When I spend 2 weeks in Brazil, my speech starts to pick up a Portuguese dialect. When I am with baseball players, I tend to talk about sports, accomplishments, and make crass jokes. When I spend time with Renaissance Festival people (Ren Fest) I talk using a cockney accent and make lots of jokes. When I am with music theatre people, entertainment, music theorists, etc. I adopt similar speech traits and I adapt my interests and conversation to match other people's tones.

In many ways I could see this as a strength. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:22 I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. In many ways that has been a life verse for me--I can grab a hold of what Paul meant here. And that can be a healthy thing. It is difficult to have a very deep conversation with someone if you hold no parallel ground with that person. I am, in many ways, a bridge builder in that sense.

But there are just as many ways in which that is a weakness. It's almost as if I don't have enough of a conviction about who I am to be the person I want to be even if no one around me is that way. I chameleon doesn't exactly stand out in the middle of a rain forest.

Over the past 8 years I have gone from being the life-of-the-party-let-me-entertain you guy to become the I-want-to-be-transparent-and-let-you-in kind of guy.

Through high school and college I thrived on being funny, on being the center of attention, and never letting anything break my good time mood. Then, after several major events in my life, I realized that while the funny guy has lots of acquaintances, he doesn't have many friends who have a deep understanding of him. For as much as I love having lots of friends, lots of irons in the fire, and love being the life of the party, I realized that it is better to have a few really deep friends, do a few things really well, and entertain just a few guests at each party. If Jesus only had 12 really close friends, why should I be able to sustain a deep friendship with 40+?

I realized all this after going to the Reds game and realizing that it would be against my nature to walk up to a security guard and ask to get into the ballpark for free. I no longer view myself as the exception.

If I could choose a new animal for my personality, I would want to be a jellyfish. I want people to be able to look at me and see right through any facade that might be there and get to know everything there is to know about me. I want to go deep with people. I want people to go deep with me. No more holding back, no more hiding. We need to open up and let the ghosts out of the closets. We need to confess our sins, talk openly about struggles, and be real in this life while we have a life to be real with.

Well....this was a much more serious post than I was expecting. Going to the Brown Co Fair tonight, tomorrow should result in a much more light-hearted post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protesting ChristMass

During a meeting with several other Cincinnati area worship ministers last week we got to talking shop about Christmas/Christmas Eve services; who was doing them, who was not, how many and what time. I was intrigued (neither positive nor adverse reaction) to find that roughly a third of the churches represented were not having any kind of Christmas Day services, even though Christmas morning is a Sunday this year. Yet there was one leader (Reggie) who said that their church has a Christmas morning worship service every year regardless of whether it falls on a Sunday.

Initially this shocked me. How could this be? Why would this be? Why have a church service every Christmas? Why not stay home and eat cinnamon rolls and open presents like the rest of America? Reggie said many of the people who expect this from his congregation are not native North Americans. Initially Reggie was against the idea, but once he realized how many people from his congregation wanted to have a Christmas mornin…

The Home School Game

Today is the Feast of St. Nicholas. Our family has started a tradition of celebrating this day by opening gifts from our stockings on this day and remembering the historical figure of Nicholas, who was a humble and generous person. It is a wonderful compromise for our family backgrounds to both celebrate Santa Claus and at the same time keep Christ-mas about Christ. It has become a tradition I look forward to every year.

This year, we decided to add an element of teaching our children to be generous by choosing toys they want to give away to other girls and boys who are less fortunate than our children. Katie lined up two dozen toys they had not been playing with for some time now and laid them all out on a table. One by one, our kids examined the toys on the table and were instructed to pick out onetoy they wanted to keep for themselves. After each kid had picked out a toy to keep, they were told to go back through the toys and pick another toy they wanted to give away. It was heart-…

Imitation: Diets, Houses, and Faith

There were 3 options for my preschoolers to choose from: Honey Bunches of Oats, Cocoa Pebbles, or Raisin Bran. I set all 3 on the table and asked each child which cereal they would like to eat for breakfast; all three chose 'Honey Boats.' After pouring their cereal and getting each kid situated, I poured myself a bowl of Raisin Bran and we all got to munching.

When Isaiah (my oldest) finished his cereal first he asked if he could have more. Sure thing, which one do you want? 
"That one" *pointing to the Raisin Bran*
Surprised I pour him a bowl of Raisin Bran, surprised that he ate the entire bowl.

As we were cleaning up our bowls from the table after breakfast I realized that the Cocoa Pebbles were not touched this morning, not even mentioned. Odd, I thought, typically the chocolately-sugary cereals don't last a week at our house. And yet this is the same [big] bag of Cocoa Pebbles that we opened over a month ago. Why the sudden lack of interest?

****************…