Skip to main content

Dancing with the devil...

Ordinarily I am not a fan of Halloween. Why? you may ask. Because it is filled with kids dressing like dying people, dead people, and ghosts of dead people. All in all, a rather morbid concept.

However, this year I really wanted to use the holiday as a chance to connect to our neighbors. Most days we don't talk (let's be honest, we never talk) to our neighbors. But on Halloween, it's like a gimme! (literally, it's a gimme, gimme).

So after talking to Matt and Clayton at church, I approached this Halloween with 2 fresh perspectives:
1) Use Halloween to connect to neighbors and build some small amount of relationship.
2) Use Halloween as a social event. Christmas, Easter, and even Thanksgiving are all friendly holidays, but they can be offensive to non-Christians. (I suppose the 4th of July is a safe one to share, but no one goes door to door). Halloween is an automatic social holiday--almost like a modern day masquerade.

So I spent Wednesday night building a fire at the end of our driveway to attract the walking dead down our dead end street to receive dead candy to put in their dead bags. Katie made some white chicken chili and we invited some friends over to pass out candy with us.

All in all, it was a wet and rainy night which made for few visitors but made for very grateful visitors when they saw the fireplace. Not many connections were made, but the very fact that we were outside welcoming visitors to our street is hopefully drawing a bridge of some sort to our neighbors.

The most interesting part of the night, however, was when two teenage girls came back with their friends. A traveling quartet of trouble: no jackets, little makeup, much candy. One girl had obviously spent a lot of time applying make up to look zombie-esque, while on the other extreme, one girl was dressed like a teenager in a bubble jacket. I generously handed out candy to them (being towards the end of the night) and one of them asked for a drink. I welcomed them all to come inside and grab a drink and some chili. (one girl asked if the chili was poisoned, to which I quickly took a bite explaining that Beelzebub cannot work against himself and drive out his own demons Matt 12:24). They stuck around for 10 minutes or so, talked politics, talked about what they wanted to be when they grew up, and held Isaiah.

All in all, that is the goal of Halloween for me. (Not to get 4 teenage girls in my house), but to show that we are a safe house, a welcoming and warm people that you are free to stop by whenever.

I told the girls about Rel Community and encouraged them to come some Sunday night to hang out. (I tempted them with the promise that youth group is fun, there is pizza, games, and boys). Hopefully some kind of bridge is drawn there. I would love to see one of those self-proclaimed non Christian girls come to know Jesus because they met with a Christian family on a pagan holiday. Go God.

Other highlights:
-"Hey, look at that guy!" kid pointing to me, dressed as a cow, standing 5 feet away from each other. "Which car do you think is mine?" I ask. "Ummmmmmmmm......" long pause, "that one!" Way to go kid.
-Guy dressed in full combat US Army gear who wasn't actually a soldier. I suppose a real soldier wouldn't "dress up" as himself, but then again, I dressed as a cow....
-Burned our wooden privacy fence in order to have wood for our fire pit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing