Skip to main content

The Seventh Inning Stretch

Last night Katie and I got a chance to go to our beloved Reds stadium, Great American Ballpark. We enjoyed the best weather baseball could ask for while watching the Reds trounce the Cardinals--all in all, a great evening!

As tradition would have it, everyone stood and sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" midway through the seventh inning--well, almost everyone. I was so enjoying the comfort of the light breeze and with how many homeruns the Reds had been hitting, I was quite stretched already and felt no need to join in with the masses of 21,000 people coarsely singing along with a Hammond's finest rendition of the beloved tune. But I felt quite out of place when I realized I was among the only patrons sitting. Even the elderly couple behind me had stood to jovially call out along with everyone else that it was "one, two, three strikes you're out!"

Yet I stood my ground. Or rather, sat it, as it were. I observed other patrons around me, some fully engrossed in the song with arm motions and loud singing, others just stood stretching their legs and arms, and a few just stood because they felt compelled to stand.

It was then that the thought of Sunday morning worship involvement nudged its way into the back of my head. There is an expectation that by being present in the sanctuary on a Sunday morning that you are planning to sing along and participate with other people around you. Whether you stand and sing because you love the opportunity to sing out, whether you stand because sitting for a full hour first thing in the morning is too dull, or whether you stand simply because others are and so it seemed like a good idea.
And some people choose to sit. "I just walked in and after spending the last 15 minutes standing talking in the foyer, I feel compelled to sit. Indeed, I don't feel like singing either because I don't want to. I'm quite comfortable just being me, Mr. Worship leader, thankyouverymuch."

It is at this juncture that I don't want to sound hypocritical or degrading. I think it is a perfectly noble thing to sit and not sing along if you feel that you have some inner heart preparing to do before you can sing. I think it is perfectly acceptable to not sing along if you find the key too high, or the song too unfamiliar, or the arrangement too confusing (hopefully us worship leaders will continue to find songs that accommodate numerous vocal types, have predictable forms, and repeat them often). I also think it is perfectly acceptable to not participate just because people around you are--you have to feel a sense of personal obligation unto God to participate, not unto your fellow man.

However, there is a certain joy that comes from joining a larger movement--be it spectating and cheering for your favorite sports team, running/walking as part of a fundraiser 5k, singing in a choir, or joining in with fellow church goers as you worship a great and deserving God. "Behold how good and how pleasant for brethren to sing [dwell] together in unity!" (Ps 133).

And likewise, there is (or at least should be) something enjoyable about sitting in proximity with your fellow man in order to share in a spectacular play, high five one another after a home run, or even just to hear the comedic sportscast they provide.
And yet as I looked across the stadium last night I saw the upper deck of seats sprinkled quite evenly with a few people here, a few people there--no party cozied up to the next without a seat buffer between them (obviously the exception is the good seats down front). I, myself, was guilty of locating some seats closer to the field that were numerous enough that we wouldn't have to sit directly beside any other patrons. The shame!

Why do we feel that we must keep space from one another in public spaces, church included?? Shouldn't it be a joy to sit next to someone you haven't met, knowing that you are united by being there for a similar cause? Be it ballpark games or church going, we should strive to find the best seat in the house and share it with like-minded individuals. I guarantee it will make the game/worship service much more enjoyable!

Why, you may ask? Because you have the opportunity to interact! You can read the Bible and sing songs by yourself any old time! You only have limited opportunities throughout the week to share in fellowship with other Christians! Praise God for soap and clean clothes so that when we sit close to one another we don't have to suffer for it :)
(the above is not always true at a ballpark)

Join me in revolutionizing the church. Let's bring back the 7th Inning Stretch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing