Skip to main content

The cash experiment

This past week I heard a professor liken God to a bank teller. He said that God cannot stand to be any man's debtor and that when God pays back, He does so quickly and with interest.

Now, the analogy obviously has a major flaw in that money isn't ours to begin with but rather God has made us stewards of His money. But let's leave that thought alone for a bit.

Supposing that God gave me money to do with as I please and I chose to give some to Him, the analogy would apply that God refuses to be indebted to me. God returns my money with a sizeable interest rate. As a Swedish saying goes, "You shovel to God, God shovels to you; God just has a bigger shovel."

Well, as I was listening to this metaphor (which I believe to be true) I felt that God was prompting me to give some money to a single mother in my church. No single mother couldn't use extra cash and help around this time of year (a double negative!). I felt like God was telling me to use cash specifically and that if I tested Him by taking a leap of faith and giving to this lady generously, then He would return that money and then some. (Mal 3)

So I sent the money off with no return address and no clear identification on who might have sent the provision. It was exciting to test God in this way to see what He would do to show me His power and might. (I know, I know, many of you are thinking "Geez, this guy is super shallow and he only gives money to God to see what kind of return he can make on his money." And in some ways you may be true, but more importantly I was excited to learn a lesson from God).

3 days had passed and my little test fell into the back of my mind; not forgotten, but not at the forefront. Long story short, I bought a new dining room table to replace our old one. The old one replaced the couch in the living room, and the couch joined the other sectional pieces in the basement. Katie and I then decided to list the sectional couch on Craigslist for $200 to see if any takers were out there. A few hours later someone came to our front door with $100 cash in hand and offered to buy the couch. I was floored. God had acted quickly to show me that I had nothing to worry about--if I gave generously to a cause God was passionate about, God would see that my needs were being met.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I got a great deal on the table because it was the floor model and the last one in stock? Did I mention that that was God's hundred-something provision? Did I mention the unexpected check that came in the mail today from a family friend who just felt led to bless us with $150? Did I mention that that was God giving back with interest? Did I mention that God loves to give back to us richly when we test Him on His generosity??

When you think of money as not being your own but being God's--and when you think of God providing every penny that crosses your path rather than you earning it yourself--your eyes become opened up to how much God is blessing your life and how immediately He cares for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing