Skip to main content

Delayed Investments

WLC Day #10

My truck needs the front windshield wiper replaced. It isn't awful yet, I just am aware that it needs to be done sooner than later. But I'm also aware that the sooner I replace it, the sooner it will wear out; and the sooner the new one wears out, the sooner I will need to buy yet another wiper blade. So, if I wait to buy a new one until it is absolutely necessary, I actually will end up saving myself a little bit of money.

For that matter, if I choose to delay buying everything that isn't a need by one day, I will have one extra day's worth of money in my bank account at all times. If I delay buying something for 2 full weeks, then that gives me an extra 2 weeks to save money before my buying frenzy begins. And chances are, if I develop the habit of waiting 2 weeks, I can also manage to wait 4 weeks, or 4 months, or not have to buy that thing at all. Buy practicing not spending my money in small steps, I can practice saving my money in small steps.

What if the same was true of my time?
What if I delay responding to an email by one day? Will I have bought myself any extra time? I think yes. Let's play out two scenarios after an email pops up in my inbox:

-I respond immediately, getting a momentary sense of instant gratification as I check a to-do item off my list and delete the email. The problem is that the other person sees my reply right away and replies to my reply. Within 10 minutes they have now sent me a 2nd email. I need to respond to that right away as well. I can now check off 2 things on my list. I become glued to my monitor waiting for their response so I can chalk up 3 to-dos off my list (although none of those to-dos were actually on my list prior to getting the email). On and on the cycle goes.

-I respond at an allotted time during the day when I check my email (4pm). I scan through the email subject headings and address the most important emails first, then I respond to second tier priority, and finally to forwarded articles and well-wishes. Perhaps an email comes in while I am addressing emails, but likely no one gets my responses until they get home that evening. I close my email browser and don't open it again until 4pm the next day. The emails can wait until I am ready for them.

In option one, my day keeps getting interrupted and I have to keep responding to emails as they appear. Like the wiper blade scenario, the sooner I respond to an email, the sooner I will have to respond to the next one.
In option two, I have budgeted a window to spend addressing emails. Regardless of how many responses an email chain may take, I know that it will never take more time than I will give it.

For the most part, investments are those things that we work on right away and down the road we see big results. This is true for things that require compound interest: retirement, savings, building relationships with your kids...these things all require that you put in the maximum effort you can today so that you can see the biggest yield on that effort tomorrow and 10 years down the road.
But there are also investments that you can make by not doing something. You can actually delay the response, purchase, conversation, task, and in so doing, buy yourself more time to focus on the thing that you really value.

If I make appointments for how I want to spend my time, that is the same as making a budget for how I want to spend my money. If something doesn't fit in the constraints of that time window or that monetary budget, it gets delayed until I have time/money for it. I am investing in my present and in my future by actually not responding to the thing at hand until I have the resources to do so.

Oddly enough, I have been working on how to say this for over a year now. I think the idea still needs some fine-tuning, but it is close. I've been delaying the writing about delaying. #irony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing