Skip to main content

Take Off Your Shoes

I came home from teaching piano lessons tonight right as the kids were brushing their teeth in the bathroom. After setting down my things, I immediately went upstairs to help with the bedtime routine. I was promptly greeted at the top of the stairs by the twins' warm smiles and exaggerated hugs. When I asked Isaiah if he was ready for bed his only response was, "Dada, I think you should take off your shoes."

This is not the first time he has instructed me in this. Especially if I am upstairs on the carpet, Isaiah is the first to remind me to take my shoes off. While on the surface level one could deduce that Isaiah is concerned for the well being of our luxuriously thread bare flooring area, I see a much more prominent statement that he is making.

Dada, won't you stay a while?

And it cuts me to the quick every time.

Maybe much like your family, we only wear shoes when we are headed outside. And that means that there is only one logical explanation for wearing shoes: you are headed out. During the day, wearing shoes could mean a host of things--yard work, playing baseball, going for a walk, fixing the car, etc.--but in the evening wearing shoes can only mean one thing: you're headed away from us.

And I fear that Isaiah sees me wearing shoes all too often.

I am constantly coming in and out of the house. Scheduling meetings and work around every crevice of free time that my weekly schedule can allow. I put my shoes on first thing in the morning before the kids are awake and I take my shoes off after the kids are in bed.
Sometimes I leave my shoes on during dinner because I need to step out to a rehearsal.
Sometimes I wear my shoes when I'm tucking them into bed because I have to step out to a meeting.
Sometimes I just plain forget to take my shoes off because it is such a part of my culture right now that I forget that I am wearing them to begin with.

When Isaiah asked me to take off my shoes, it immediately recalled another unshodding instance in the Old Testament between Moses and a burning bush. We can pick up the story in Exodus 3

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up.”
When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”
And Moses said, “Here I am.”
“Do not come any closer,” God said. “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.” Then he said, “I am the God of your father,[a] the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.” At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
Every other time I have read this passage, I have always assumed that the take away was that God was pure and holy and righteous and awesome and wonderful and that Moses was defiling God's presence in some way by wearing shoes. And yes, that may be part of the case. But, I can't help but wonder if God is asking the same thing of Moses that Isaiah asked of me: Won't you stay in my presence just a little while longer?
--------------------

Of course, my immediate response was to kick off my shoes and assure my son that I was with him for the rest of the night. I was not going anywhere, I was going to be with my children just to spend time in their company.

As you consider your day, are you hearing the times when God is asking you to take off your shoes?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing