Skip to main content

Running from church....

...to home.

This morning I decided to tackle one of the biggest hills around as a part of my Flying Pig training. Mt. Washington.

In order to get from my house to church (5 miles) I have to pass through/travel up Mt Washington, a task that not even my 4 cylindered MG Midget likes to process.

So this morning I did it. I strapped on neither motorcycle nor truck but put on my running shoes and made it to church.Was it pretty? No. Was it a beautiful morning? Yes. Was it fun? Eh. Would I do it again? Probably.

I find that when I run I come up with many observations and self-reflections. Perhaps because I feel as close to dying while short-breathed and winded as I do at any time during any day. Here are a few of those  observations:

-I had the ability to greet people with a breathless hello, whereas I usually don't even notice them as I drive by at 40mph. While this is limited interaction, it is amazing to start your day off "spending time" with people you don't normall see.
-I was alarmed at the difference it made to run on the upwind (Right) side of the street vs running downwind from the street (left). For the first half of my run I was breathing in all sorts of nasty fumes and was really struggling to feel like I could catch a deep breath when I inhaled. Once I crossed over to the other side of the street I was able to really feel like I could take a breath. So I came up with this analogy: If running is a comparison to the Christian faith, then God provides the strength, Jesus provides the route, and the Holy Spirit provides the oxygen. When you run on the "wrong side of the street", you aren't getting as much power as you otherwise could have. If you let pollution and manmade things contribute to what you are taking in to your lungs, you will never be able to truly experience breathing (Eph 4:22).
-Perhaps my most prominent observation is that I observed a lot more than I usually do. I was able to take in the details of the ordinary trip. When you drive by something, even with great regularity, you miss the details you would otherwise get on bike or foot. I was able to take in the scents, the sounds, and the feel of the ground I usually speed over. It is a wonderful thing to notice the many details of the route we take that we usually miss. I would recommend that everyone walk or jog their route to work someday, just to take in the details of the trip frequently traveled. It will give you a lot more appreciation for that route.

And now, for some unforeseen complications regarding running to church:
-The shower here rarely gets used, and therefore when fresh water hits the drain, it awakens all sorts of smelly "egg" smell. I'm not entirely convinced I got clean...
-I forgot to pack a toothbrush.
-Or breakfast.
-Or my wallet, which allows me to get into the church at my earlier arrival time (gratefully Vicki was here)
-I now have smelly clothes in my office all day.
-And...I did not anticipate how scary it can be to cross a bridge on the shoulder of a busy street with almost no shoulder to walk on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting A Conscientious Vote

Here's the thing America: you nominated two terrible representatives for public office--one "Republican" and one Democrat. Both of their campaign managers have decided that the strongest approach to get elected is to basically claim " at least I'm not them ." Both parties have released ad campaigns to bash the other candidate and both, I might argue, do so quite effectively. Now that I have successfully been persuaded that I should vote for neither candidate (thanks to the other candidate), I am left wondering who there is left to vote for. Certainly there is some candidate who is both qualified as a politician and as a person of reasonable morals?? Enter the 3rd party system. America was founded against a national party system (you can read about that here  for an enlightening time). And yet it is this national party system that has allowed a Democratic convert like Donald Trump to represent the Republican party. Trump knew that the only way to have a

Let's Stop Singing

S omeone recently shared an article with me titled " Let's Stop Singing These 10 Worship Songs ." The author, Corrie Mitchell, is making a point that there are some songs that have made it into the mainstream worship scene that are lyrically weak at best. I believe her ultimate goal is to encourage song writers both to be more conscientious of their lyrics to not neglect theological accuracy at the expense of prose--which is a noble and applauded effort. But with that said, here is my response to her article. Let's stop singing these 10 worship songs. That's right, there are too many important theological statements that are getting left out of worship songs. If congregants don't have the opportunity to proclaim the entire Gospel message in the course of one song then it isn't worth singing. After all, what if that is the only song they ever hear in a worship service? They will be left thinking that the Gospel message is incomplete. That Jesus only die

Jesus Doesn't Care Who You Vote For

There. I said it.  Of all the things Jesus cares about that you get to decide on a daily basis, who you cast your ballot for in the upcoming 2020 election is far from the top of the list.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesus doesn't care who the next president is--the Bible is pretty clear that God does care who the governing authorities are (Daniel 2:21)--fact is, he already knows who it will be!  What I am saying is that you have thousands of tiny decisions to make throughout your day. Most of which, God doesn't really care about: Do I wear my red tie or blue tie to work today?  Should I leave my house before rush hour traffic or at the last possible minute? How many helpings of Lucky Charms can I get away with before someone notices how light the box has become? Each decision has its own ripple effect and you have to live the consequences of each micro-decision. But most of our decisions on a day-to-day basis are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of thing